Blogs > Extra Points

Thoughts, news and notes from the sports staff of The Saratogian newspaper, located in historic Saratoga Springs, New York. The gang in the corner office on Lake Avenue give you the post-game wrap-ups, news and notes from the games we cover and opinions about the sports we read about every day.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Cody Nizolek named CDHSHL Player of the Year

Saratoga Springs junior Cody Nizolek has been named the Capital District High School Hockey League Player of the Year at Sunday’s league coaches meeting.

The junior forward has scored 25 goals this season along with 13 assists for 38 regular season points and helped the Blue Streaks post an 11-5-1 league record and 15-7-2 overall. Saratoga finished third in the league standings and will host No. 6 Shenendehowa 6:45 p.m. Wednesday night at the Weibel Avenue Rink in the Section II Division I quarterfinals.

“Coach (Mike Ricupero) told us today at practice,” Nizolek said. “I was surprised. I wasn’t the leading point man, but I was up there. Everyone was congratulating me and said they were happy for me.
“I thought I had a chance to get it,” Nizolek said. “I thought the top point guy (Mohonasen’s Kyle McKelvey) may get it or one of the Queensbury kids would get it.”

The two-sport star has his heart set on hockey, but said his college career may be played in the spring.
“I love playing both,” Nizolek said. “I was out today playing at Skidmore with some of the other guys. Playing one helps you play the other sport.
“I would like to play hockey,” Nizolek said. “More realistically, lacrosse will have better offers than college hockey. I would love to play hockey in college.”

To see the full list of CDHSHL All-Stars click here.

- Stan Hudy

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home